[OS X TeX] Packages for books

Richard Seguin riseguin at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 24 20:23:53 CEST 2012

I have not had experience with the book package, but I can highly recommend the memoir package. Although the default setup is pretty good, all sorts of things can be customized: chapter headings, section headers, running headers, page numbers, table of contents, etc. I did some Google searches to find examples of customizations, and there are a lot out there. After playing around with this stuff for several days, I was astonished at how "professional" looking I was able to make the document. I could post my preamble, but that might inhibit you from finding your own style which might be even better than mine. I think I did look at the documentation for the book package, and it seemed to be rather restrictive compared to the memoir package, and that's why I went with the memoir package.

Richard Séguin