[OS X TeX] PostScript-flavored and TrueType-flavored opentype fonts

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Wed Aug 15 16:13:59 CEST 2012

I would like to use the tutorial INSTALLING OPENTYPE FONTS IN LATEX WITH THE LCDF TYPETOOLS by JOHN OWENS.

But before beginning to try, I have run into the following sentence (in the 3rd paragraph) : At this time the tools only work with PostScript-flavored OpenType fonts; TrueType-flavored fonts are partially but not wholly supported for lengthy, complex, and detailed reasons regarding TeX font handling (not otfinst or otftotfm) that I won't get into here.

How can I know if some particular font is PostScript-flavored or TrueType-flavored? Say for example /HelveticaNeueLTStd-ThCn.otf (Helvetica Neue LT Std 37 Thin Condensed) forom Linotype ?

André Bellaïche
Université Paris-Diderot