[OS X TeX] LaTeX question

Gary L. Gray glgray at me.com
Sun Aug 12 21:10:40 CEST 2012

On Aug 10, 2012, at 6:02 PM, Axel E. Retif <axel.retif at mac.com> wrote:

> On 08/09/2012 09:11 PM, Gary L. Gray wrote:
>

>> I would like to create a list for which each entry is a displayed
>> equation. As you can see in the following simple example (the last
>> item is commented out -- more on that soon), LaTeX pushes the
>> baseline of the equation well below the baseline of the bullet. If I
>> wrap the displayed equation environment in a \raisebox and raise it
>> zero length, the baselines align perfectly.
>
> parbox; and better equation*/split than align*:
>
> \item
> \raisebox{0pt}{\parbox{10pc}{
> \begin{equation*}
> \begin{split}
> y &= \int \sin x \,dx \\
> &\qquad{} + x^{2}
> \end{split}
> \end{equation*}
> }}

I am finally getting back to this project and I want to thank everyone who answered. This solution from Axel works very well as long as I adjust the length in the \raisebox command (it turns out that -8pt works well). It turns out I did try using \parbox before, but not in this way. Nicely done.

Thank you again.

Gary