[OS X TeX] Font Installation MacTeX-2012

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Aug 8 16:15:51 CEST 2012

On Aug 8, 2012, at 8:41 AM, ThomasSchl wrote:

> I saw there are some people having trouble installing individual fonts into
> the texlive package. I have similar problems but none of the previous posts
> by H. Schulz (or his guide "TeXLive2012Changes") helped me.
>
> My situation is the following:
> - I am using pdflatex
> - I want to use the  http://scripts.sil.org/gentium gentium fonts
> - I have converted the TTF versions of these fonts using
> http://http://www.dalug.org/fileadmin/veranstaltungen/Slides/truetype.pdf
> the guide by K. Höppner  some five years ago
> - I used the converted gentium fonts successfully with MacTeX-2009 to
> MacTeX-2011
>
> After installing MacTeX-2012 the fonts (which were were installed
> system-wide in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local) ceased to work with a similar
> error as given by other users:
>
> --
> kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+264/600 --dpi 864
> fgbr8r
> mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for fgbr8r.
> mktexpk: perhaps fgbr8r is missing from the map file.
> kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
> )
> !pdfTeX error: pdflatex (file fgbr8r): Font fgbr8r at 864 not found
> ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
> --
>
> After I read the TeXLive2012Changes PDF by H. Schulz, I carefully checked
> all the parameters he mentioned, but---somehow---the new system refused to
> detect my font. I decided to completely remove all TeXLive files (rests of
> 2011 and 2012) and to start anew:
>
> - I installed the complete MacTeX-2012 from scratch
> - I called tlmgr update --self, then tlmgr update --all
> - I copied my font step-by-step into /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local as
> follows:
>   cp *.fd ../texmf-local/tex/latex/gentium
>   cp *.tfm ../texmf-local/fonts/tfm/public/gentium
>   cp *.vf ../texmf-local/fonts/vf/public/gentium
>   cp *.pfb ../texmf-local/fonts/type1/public/gentium
>   cp gentium.map ../texlive/texmf-local/fonts/map
>  (This last step differs from the original guide by K. Höppner because of
> some hint (by, was it updmap?) in MacTeX-2010 or MacTeX-2011)
> - I created a new file updmap.cfg in ../texmf-local/web2c with the line "Map
> gentium.map" plus an additional blank line
> - I called
>  sudo -H mktexlsr
> - I called
>  sudo -H updmap-sys
>
> After that, I tried to set one of my old documents that uses the font, but
> the error message stays exactly the same. I then called
>  sudo -H updmap --enable Map gentium.map
> but nothing changes. I also tried
>  sudo -H updmap --syncwithtrees
> but, again, the error persists.
>
> Do you guys have any idea on how to proceed from here? I can't see the
> 'error' I made. Do you think my old conversion of the gentium TTF font is a
> [...]

Howdy,

First, the last things you did will lead to major problems in the end. You should NEVER us `sudo` when running `updmap`. Please remove ~/Library/texlive which is probably owned by root.

Can you give me a minimal but compilable sample file that uses the gentium font so I can do some testing here? Is there some sort of .sty file you are using to load the gentium file? If so please give that too.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)