[OS X TeX] LaTeX conversion to eBook?

Chris Goedde cgg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 15:04:34 CEST 2012

On Apr 26, 2012, at 6:39 AM, William Adams wrote:

> On Apr 25, 2012, at 11:35 PM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:
>
>> Unbelievable, but true... It seems only MathType will work with iBookAuthor.
>
> which unfortunately, still circles around to my points:
>
>> ... the problem is one loses all the semantics and much of the expressiveness of the equation:
>>
>> - it can't be broken if the text width is narrow and it falls near the margin
>> - unless one makes it as an SVG enlarging or reducing it is ugly
>> - it won't work for speech recognition, so isn't helpful for visually-impaired users
>> - it's not text, so it can't be copied or pasted for use in a student's notes
>> - it can't be made use of in a computer algebra system w/o re-keying

Does this mean/imply that using MathType in iBook Author produces images for the equations? Has anyone played around with MathType and iBook Author? (I was thinking of doing this.)

It seems to me that the fundamental problem here is that MathML was basically stillborn. Until there's proper support for complex math in WebKit, the situation won't improve, because there's no foundation to build on.

Chris