[OS X TeX] More Minion Pro questions

Richard Seguin riseguin at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 25 17:37:30 CEST 2012

On Apr 25, 2012, at 1:24 AM, Michael Sharpe wrote:

> On Apr 24, 2012, at 9:38 PM, Richard Seguin wrote:
>
>> Hmmm, now that I've been looking at this more closely, I'm not sure if this is working correctly. At \huge size both textbf and semib may be giving the exact same results, or so close that it's almost imperceptible. (Sometimes I think I see differences at smaller sizes and sometimes I don't.) Then to confuse things, when I invoke the onlymath option in MinionPro, \normalfont at the \huge size looks very skinny. When I apply \semib nothing changes. But then when I apply \textbf, the letters go from very skinny to very fat. Why the difference? I'm very confused, it's late, and my brain is starting to fail.
>>

> You do of course need to have the semibold fonts installed for \renewcommand{\bfdefault}{sb} to have any effect---from what you wrote earlier, you have only MinionPro regular and bold from the otf files. If you had installed your old PostScript MinionPro, that would have had what you needed.
>
> It's late, and though this works for me, it might not for you because I'm ignoring some bits and pieces, but give it a try. Copy the attached files into your ~/Library/texmf tree so they shadow the ones in the system trees, then try \mathscr after \usepackage{bickham}.
>
> Michael

Michael,

I do (supposedly) have the semibold fonts installed. I bought the two semibold .otf weights, and then used TeXFontUtility to install all three weights on top of the two that were there (after which I reinstalled the newest encoding files.) Maybe I should completely delete Minion Pro and do it again. It almost seems as if it's (usually?) substituting bold when I request semibold.

I have to run now, but will try the bickham files later today. Thanks!

Richard