[OS X TeX] Re: .map file not found?

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 18:29:34 CEST 2012

On 4/11/12 6:05 PM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> I'm trying to make TeXLive 2011 aware of the Mathematica font files.
>
>    (a) I copied the various files from Mathematica 8's
>
>        SystemFiles/IncludeFiles/TeX/texmf
>
> to the corresponding locations in ~/Library/texmf (my local texmf
> folder).  Note that my user account has administrator privileges.
>
>    (b) since the Mathematica type1 files are named with extension .pfa,
> I edited the files ~/Library/texmf/dvips/config/wolfram.map and
> ~/Library/texmf/pdftex/config/pdfwolfram.map so as the change extensions
> given there for the Mathematica files from .pfb to .pfa.
>
>    (c) ran sudo mkteslsr
>
>    (d) tried both:
>
> sudo updmap-sys --enable
> Map=/Volumes/MacHD/Users/murray/Library/texmf/dvips/config/wolfram.map
>
> and the same things but without 'sudo'.
>
> Errors: the former says that wolfram.map cannot be found (even though I
> gave its complete path explcitly!).
>
> And the latter gives a Permission denied at
> /usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/x86_64-darwin/updmap.
>
> How to proceed?

I've figured out how to fix _this_ error: in ~/Library/texmf I have file
web2c/updmap.cfg. I just added to its end:

   Map wolfram.map #localtexmf/dvips/config/wolfram.map
   Map pdfwolfram.map #localtexmf/pdftex/config/pdfwolfram.map

Now the .map files are found. But there's another problem. When I try to
LaTeX the following file in TeXShop...

   \documentclass{article}
   \usepackage{wrisym}
   \begin{document}
   \begin{itemize}
   \item This should be a Gothic B: $\goB$
   \item This should be a Gothic A: $\goA$
   \item Mathematica Logo: \MathLogo
   \end{itemize}
   \end{document}

.. I get a fatal error:

kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+0/600 --dpi 600
Mathematica5
gsftopk: fatal: map file `psfonts.map
' not found.
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for Mathematica5.
mktexpk: perhaps Mathematica5 is missing from the map file.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
  )
!pdfTeX error: /usr/texbin/pdflatex (file Mathematica5): Font
Mathematica5 at 6
00 not found
  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

(Documents not using the Mathematica fonts still process OK, including
those using Lucida Bright math fonts and those using MathTime Pro 2 fonts.)
Murray Eisenberg                     murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
80 Fearing Street                    phone 413 549-1020 (H)
Amherst, MA 01002-1912