[OS X TeX] .map file not found?

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Thu Apr 12 00:26:26 CEST 2012

On Apr 11, 2012, at 3:05 PM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> I'm trying to make TeXLive 2011 aware of the Mathematica font files. Here's what I did:
>
>  (a) copied the various files from Mathematica 8's
>
>      SystemFiles/IncludeFiles/TeX/texmf
>
> to the corresponding locations in ~/Library/texmf (my local texmf folder).  Note that my user account has administrator privileges.
>
>  (b) since the Mathematica type1 files are named with extension .pfa, I edited the files ~/Library/texmf/dvips/config/wolfram.map and
> ~/Library/texmf/pdftex/config/pdfwolfram.map so as the change extensions given there for the Mathematica files from .pfb to .pfa.
>
>  (c) ran sudo mkteslsr
>
>  (d) tried both:
>
> sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=/Volumes/MacHD/Users/murray/Library/texmf/dvips/config/wolfram.map
>
> and the same things but without 'sudo'.
>
> Errors: the former says that wolfram.map cannot be found (even though I gave its complete path explcitly!).
>
> And the latter gives a Permission denied at /usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/x86_64-darwin/updmap.
>
> How to proceed?
>
> (And as a general comment born of frustration: why can't such things be _much_ easier??)
>
> -

It's not a good idea to install font files in your home texmf folder, as it can prevent font updates by TeX Live Utility from having the intended effect with fonts it updates.

Don't give a full path to your map file. Once the map file is in some appropriate part of the texmf forest, it will be found by updmap[-sys]. With running updmap-sys and then updmap, you have creeated a bit of a mess, with two versions of updmap.cfg, one in ~/Library/texlive/2011/ that now shadows you system version. I'd advise you to get rid of the home version before doing anything else.

Michael