[OS X TeX] .map file not found?

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 00:05:55 CEST 2012

I'm trying to make TeXLive 2011 aware of the Mathematica font files.
Here's what I did:

   (a) copied the various files from Mathematica 8's

       SystemFiles/IncludeFiles/TeX/texmf

to the corresponding locations in ~/Library/texmf (my local texmf
folder).  Note that my user account has administrator privileges.

   (b) since the Mathematica type1 files are named with extension .pfa,
I edited the files ~/Library/texmf/dvips/config/wolfram.map and
~/Library/texmf/pdftex/config/pdfwolfram.map so as the change extensions
given there for the Mathematica files from .pfb to .pfa.

   (c) ran sudo mkteslsr

   (d) tried both:

sudo updmap-sys --enable
Map=/Volumes/MacHD/Users/murray/Library/texmf/dvips/config/wolfram.map

and the same things but without 'sudo'.

Errors: the former says that wolfram.map cannot be found (even though I
gave its complete path explcitly!).

And the latter gives a Permission denied at
/usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/x86_64-darwin/updmap.

How to proceed?

(And as a general comment born of frustration: why can't such things be
_much_ easier??)

Murray Eisenberg                     murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
80 Fearing Street                    phone 413 549-1020 (H)
Amherst, MA 01002-1912