[OS X TeX] TeXpad (LaTeX iPad editor app) dev's blog post on Mac OS X appstore sandboxing

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Wed Apr 4 20:53:02 CEST 2012

On Apr 4, 2012, at 2:00 PM, Richard Koch wrote:

> It MIGHT be possible to include LaTeX inside the sandbox of an App Store app,
> distributing the app and the command line programs together, as Apple now does
> with XCode.
>
> However, I don't think that would be permitted because of the GPL software license
> under which many components of TeX are released. Note that the Free Software
> Foundation doesn't allow GPL apps on the iPad for that reason.

There was a recent post on texhax by a gentleman who had put together a BSD-licensed TeX distribution:

http://www.kergis.com/en/kertex.html

So one could do a TeX editor for the iPad by:

 - putting kertex inside of it
 - modifying the TeX editor so that it uses document ``bundles'' (so that one dropped a folder which contains all supporting files for the document)

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer