[OS X TeX] TeXpad (LaTeX iPad editor app) dev's blog post on Mac OS X appstore sandboxing

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Apr 4 19:36:43 CEST 2012

On Apr 4, 2012, at 12:16 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2012, at 11:48 AM, William Adams wrote:
>
>> Came across this:
>>
>> http://vallettaventures.com/post/20458410521/the-sandbox-banning-latex-from-the-mac-app-store
>>
>> and it brought to mind the old discussion we once had about a ``document bundle'' for TeX documents --- anyone think that's worth re-visiting now?
>>
>> William
>>

> Howdy,
>
> I don't think the problem is with the document bundle but rather that the sandbox will not allow calls to UNIX level programs and the TeX Distribution is, of course UNIX level. (Please scream at me if I'm off base here!!!)
>
> As far as I know that means that TeXShop can never be distributed through the App Store. I assume that the folks that make TeXPad for iOS have an OS X app to interact with the changes made to files (don't they use Dropbox to transfer the file) and they are distributing that app via the App Store. So it would mean they'd have to distribute it themselves.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

1)have you looked at the size of TeX Live? We're talking >2.5GB.

2)there would be no way to update the TeX Live distribution unless TeXShop, etc. (each app that used TeX would have to include the distribution!), unless one updated TeXShop, etc. No more TeX Live Utility or tlmgr.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)