[OS X TeX] how make cocoAspell recognize LaTeX commands?

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 22:50:26 CEST 2011

I'm using TeXShop 2.43 under OS X 10.6.8 and installed cocoAspell 2.1.

As the docs say, I then:

 - in System Preferences, Spelling preferences panel selected "English
(United States) as the Dictionary and checked the Filter for TeX/LaTeX; and

 -  in System Preferences, Language & Text, Text pane, chose what I believe
is the corresponding dictionary for the Spelling choice: "English (United
States} [w_accents] (Aspell) -- this is the only Aspell entry I see in that
drop-down for Spelling.

Nonetheless, in TeXShop, every LaTeX command that is not an ordinary English
word is still getting flagged as misspelled. E.g.:

  documentclass, usepackages, textbf, displaystyle, emph, frac

(Only such command as \section, \begin, \end, \item formed from actual words
are left unflagged)

What's wrong and how does one fix this?