[OS X TeX] font difficulties (finding map files in homedir) in MacTeX 2011

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Sep 2 22:00:27 CEST 2011

On Sep 2, 2011, at 2:43 PM, John Owens wrote:

> Howdy, I generally consider myself pretty decent at figuring out font issues,
> but I'm stumped on this
> one.
>
> I installed a number of fonts (using my script that sits on top of the LCDF
> typetools). When it's done, it  enables the map using updmap then runs
> updmap standalone:
>
> $ updmap --nomkmap --enable Map
> /Users/jowens/Library/texlive/2011/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/adobe/adobe.map
> Config file: "/Users/jowens/Library/texlive/2011/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg"
> /Users/jowens/Library/texlive/2011/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg unchanged.
> Map files not recreated.
> /usr/texbin/updmap: Updating ls-R files.
>
> $ updmap
> Config file: "/Users/jowens/Library/texlive/2011/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg"
> dvips output dir: "/Users/jowens/Library/texlive/2011/texmf-var/fonts/
> map/dvips/updmap"
> pdftex output dir: "/Users/jowens/Library/texlive/2011/texmf-var/fonts/
> map/pdftex/updmap"
>
> /usr/texbin/updmap is creating new map files
> using the following configuration:
>  LW35 font names                  : URWkb
>  prefer outlines                  : true
>  texhash enabled                  : true
>  download standard fonts (dvips)  : false
>  download standard fonts (pdftex) : true
>
> Scanning for LW35 support files  [  3 files]
> Scanning for MixedMap entries    [ 44 files]
> Scanning for Map entries         [162 files]
>

> ERROR:  The following map file(s) couldn't be found:
> 	/Users/jowens/Library/texlive/2011/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/
>        adobe/adobe.map
>
> 	Did you run mktexlsr?
>
> 	You can delete non-existent map entries using the option
> 	  --syncwithtrees.
>

> OK, that's a problem. Is this file here? Yes it is:
>
> $ head -4 /Users/jowens/Library/texlive/2011/texmf-var/fonts/map/
> dvips/adobe/adobe.map
> % Automatically maintained by otftotfm or other programs. Do not edit.
>
> LY1-MinionPro-CnCapt-sinf-kern-liga-smcp--lcdfj MinionPro-CnCaptLCDFJ ""
> <MinionPro-CnCaptLCDFJ.pfb
> LY1-MinionPro-CnCapt-sinf-kern-liga-smcp--base MinionPro-CnCapt
> "AutoEnc_atsjoc57u7xjzp5f52fv6n7vcf ReEncodeFont" <[a_atsjoc.enc
> <MinionPro-CnCapt.pfb

Howdy,

If you installed TeX Live with the MacTeX installer your personal tree has its root at ~/Library/texmf/ (you'll have to create the texmf folder there if you don't already have it). Then put all the font stuff in the correct sub-folders of ~/Library/texmf/fonts/... (again, creating folders as necessary) (e.g., ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/). There is no need to run texhash (or mktexlsr) since your personal tree is searched directly. Finally, to create a personal map file for your system don't put in the full path for the map file since it will be found in the ``standard'' locations:

updmap -enable Map=adobe.map

to create a personal map that includes the adobe.map contents.

One thing to note: I personally think all fonts and associated files should be put into the texmf-local tree and you should always do everything globally, i.e., using `sudo updmap-sys'. We've run into all sorts of questions when things are changed at the global level but folks have personal versions which override the changes (the first updmap.map file kpsewhich finds will be found and used --- only the first one found will be used).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)