[OS X TeX] Tinkering with the argument of a \chapter

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 16:51:49 CEST 2011

I would like to have a chapter title to read "Base TEN" with the E
and the N a bit smaller than the T with the T the same size as the B
in Base. In other words what "Base \textsc{Ten}" would typeset but
which, in the argument of \chapter, typesets "Base Ten".

"\chapter{Base T{\LARGE EN}}" does it but then the E and the N are a
lot larger than the T  in the table of contents and the running head.

So what I did was

"\chapter[Base Ten]{Base T{\LARGE EN}}"

which typesets "BASE TEN" in the running head and "Base Ten" in the
table of contents

I can live with that but where can I find that kind of information?

Hopeful regards
--schremmer

P. S. Companion 2ed warns against that sort of things on page 23 but
only deals with renewing the command \chapter while I just want
occasionally to format one word in one heading.