[OS X TeX] how include .eps in TeXShop using default

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 03:30:21 CEST 2011

How in TeXShop (2.43) do I go about getting an included .eps or .pdf
file in the pdf output when I typeset a LaTeX source file?

I have

   \usepackage[dvips]{graphics}

in the preamble. And for getting the graphics, I try to use:

\begin{center}
\scalebox{0.5}{\includegraphics{mygraph.eps}}
\end{center}

Then no graphics whatsoever appears in the pdf file obtained by
typesetting in TeXShop.

If, instead, I create my graphic directly as a .pdf (by export from
Mathematica) and then use correspondingly \includegraphics{mygraph.pdf},
then in the output from typesetting in TeXShop the graphic appears but
grossly enlarged and overwriting text. (The bounding box information may
have gotten lost.)

(Sorry for this seemingly naive question. I'm a recent convert to MacTeX
from the Windows world, and this sort of thing was very easy to do with
an obvious workflow .tex -> .dvi -> .ps -> .pdf there.)

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305