[OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest, Vol 48, Issue 1

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 21:27:17 CEST 2011

I already looked at in the System Preferences, Spelling, Filters pane
and then the TeX/LaTeX part. I see such things included as:

   newcounter, newcommand, pagestyle

Nonetheless, still in TeXShop, those commands are being flagged as
misspelled!

Moreover, that list of TeXLaTeX filter commands is just about the barest
imaginable -- so short as to be nearly useless (if only it even worked).
There's a + button, presumably to add to the list, but that button
doesn't work.

I also did open TeXShop's Edit > Spelling and Grammar window, and the
dictionary showing there seems to be the same as I enabled in OS X
System Preferences, namely:

   English (United States} [w_accents] (Aspell)

It's just unbelievable to me that a TeX front end would not supply a
working TeX/LaTeX-filtering spell-checker, whether built-in or by means
of a 3rd party tool.

(Once again my hopes for a good TeX front-end on the Mac seem dashed.)

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305