[OS X TeX] how enable smart quotes of LaTeX kind

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Sat Oct 1 00:36:17 CEST 2011

Murray,

Go to the Edit menu, and select Substitutions. It is a submenu; select the
“Smart Quotes”item

The menu is “document by document”, as are most TeXShop menus. So the
document you want this to affect must be active when you select the menu. TeXShop
will remember the last choices for the “Substitutions” submenu and use them the next
time you start.

Having said all of this, smart quotes are seldom useful in TeXShop because they don’t insert
“TeX code”, but instead just insert quotes directly. This might work in XeTeX or LuaTeX (I
haven’t checked) but not in ordinary LaTeX.

Dick Koch