[OS X TeX] Re: A bit of everything (3/4)

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Thu Mar 24 20:03:20 CET 2011

Le 22 mars 2011 à 22:14, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> GTA Mac Fonts
> =============
>
> [...]
>
> Attached is an archive containing the resulting texmf/font tree, save for the TTF and AFM files which, as for the original i-Package, need to be created at install time as described in step 2. texmf/doc and texmf/tex are unchanged compared with <http://tug.org/i-packages/TL-gw-extras.ii2/TL-gw-extras.tar.bz2> and are not included to decrease the attachment size.

As I'm cleaning all the test and temporary files on my setup, I'm realizing there's something I'd forgotten in these instructions, written down two weeks after doing the work: something isn't right with five of the fonts in Snow Leopard

	American Typewriter
	Baskerville
	Didot
	Futura
	Gill Sans

in that pdfLaTeX returns

!pdfTeX error: /usr/texbin/pdftex (file /Users/bvoisin/Library/texmf/fonts/true
type/gtamacfonts/americantypewriter/AmericanTypewriterCondensedBold.ttf): unkno
wn version of OS/2 table (0004)
==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

!pdfTeX error: /usr/texbin/pdftex (file /Users/bvoisin/Library/texmf/fonts/true
type/gtamacfonts/baskerville/BaskervilleBoldItalic.ttf): unknown version of OS/
2 table (0004)
==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

!pdfTeX error: /usr/texbin/pdftex (file /Users/bvoisin/Library/texmf/fonts/true
type/gtamacfonts/didot/Didot.ttf): unknown version of OS/2 table (0004)
==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

!pdfTeX error: /usr/texbin/pdftex (file /Users/bvoisin/Library/texmf/fonts/true
type/gtamacfonts/futura/FuturaCondensedExtraBold.ttf): unknown version of OS/2
table (0004)
==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

!pdfTeX error: /usr/texbin/pdftex (file /Users/bvoisin/Library/texmf/fonts/true
type/gtamacfonts/gillsans/GillSansBoldItalic.ttf): unknown version of OS/2 tabl
e (0004)
==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

The same does not happen with Textures <http://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/textures/2011-March/000048.html>, where the main difference in the adaptation is that no conversion to TTF format is involved, the Snow Leopard fonts are used directly. That's why I'd forgotten there was a problem with these fonts in TeX Live, or in any case with performing the conversion using FontForge's default settings.

If that's a problem with these settings, then I must admit I've no clue what should be done to right this wrong.

So it seems GTA Mac Fonts cannot be used in TeX Live with the Snow Leopard fonts, you need to get hold of a Tiger setup or Install DVD and convert the fonts from there. Namely, for the Install DVD double-click the archive

	/System/Installation/Packages/Essentials.pkg/Contents/Archive.pax.gz

get

	/System/Library/Fonts/LucidaGrande.dfont
	/Library/Fonts/AmericanTypewriter.dfont
	/Library/Fonts/Baskerville.dfont
	/Library/Fonts/Didot.dfont
	/Library/Fonts/Futura.dfont
	/Library/Fonts/Georgia
	/Library/Fonts/GillSans.dfont
	/Library/Fonts/HelveticaNeue.dfont
	/Library/Fonts/Hoefler Text.dfont
	/Library/Fonts/Optima.dfont
	/Library/Fonts/Verdana

and run

	fondu AmericanTypewriter.dfont
	fondu Baskerville.dfont
	fondu Didot.dfont
	fondu Futura.dfont
	fondu Georgia
	fondu GillSans.dfont
	fondu HelveticaNeue.dfont
	fondu "Hoefler Text".dfont
	fondu LucidaGrande.dfont
	fondu Optima.dfont
	fondu Verdana

Then put the result inside the directory fonts/truetype/gtamacfonts of the attached archive, which only differs from the archive in the preceding message by the ENC files.

If you also want AFM files, run

	fontforge -script dumpafm.pe AmericanTypewriter.dfont
	fontforge -script dumpafm.pe Baskerville.dfont
	fontforge -script dumpafm.pe Didot.dfont
	fontforge -script dumpafm.pe Futura.dfont
	fontforge -script dumpafm.pe Georgia
	fontforge -script dumpafm.pe GillSans.dfont
	fontforge -script dumpafm.pe HelveticaNeue.dfont
	fontforge -script dumpafm.pe "Hoefler Text".dfont
	fontforge -script dumpafm.pe LucidaGrande.dfont
	fontforge -script dumpafm.pe Optima.dfont
	fontforge -script dumpafm.pe Verdana

and place them inside fonts/afm/gtamacfonts, but that's not necessary for the package to work.

Sorry for the blunder,

Bruno Voisin

PS I hope people who read this message received the message "[OS X TeX] A bit of everything (3/4)" it's answering. I did not receive that message after sending it, but it's on the list archive, so I assume the list members received it.