[OS X TeX] Re: LaTeX and APA

LuKreme kremels at kreme.com
Sat Mar 19 13:29:53 CET 2011

On 18-Mar-2011, at 09:35, Alan Munn wrote:

> If you are mainly concerned about the formatting of citations/bibliography, then the biblatex-apa style for biblatex is the most up-to-date that I am aware of. It implements the 6th ed. APA guide.

OK. Now, when I fire up TeX Live Utility and type in 'apa' in the search field, I get no results. If I put in biblatex I get

biblatex
biblatex-chicago

How do I get biblatex-apa installed correctly with my Mac TeX install?

> biblatex-mla is usable with the apa documentclass  if you load it with the [noapacite] option.

Same question, mla returns no results, so how do I get it installed? And will these packages, once installed, get updated via Tex Live?

> Switching from apacite to biblatex is pretty straightforward; you don't need to change you bib file, but you may need to adjust the actual citation commands to match the biblatex-apa cite commands.

I don't have any existing TeX files to convert. I will be pulling the text out of other documents and putting it into TeXWorks or BBEdit to turn it into LaTeX.

> There's been a very recent update to biblatex-apa (last few days) so make sure your distribution is up-to-date.

Mac Tex just updated to … 0.91, but I sense this is not enough?

If I plug in the sample document (I took out the refs to the bibliography for now) to a new document in TeXWorks

> \documentclass[noapacite]{apa}
> \usepackage[american]{babel}
> \usepackage{csquotes}
> \usepackage[style=apa]{biblatex}
> \DeclareLanguageMapping{american}{american-apa}
> \begin{document}
>

> \end{document}

I get this on a command-T:

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.11 (TeX Live 2010)
restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(./apa test.tex
! Undefined control sequence.
l.1 \documentclass
[noapacite]{apa}

Also, every time I launch TeXWorks, it defaults to saving in the /Applications/TeX/ folder.

--
Humans are always slightly lost. It's a basic characteristic. It
explains a lot about them.