Re: [OS X TeX] Non–Recovery from Error

Messerschmitt David messer at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Mar 11 05:11:54 CET 2011

<<snip>>

> I'm not sure what you mean about the necessity of removing the .aux files. Latexmk will check to see if something has changed (e.g., a change in the source file) and rerun what is necessary.

Here is more detail:

If I deliberately introduce a syntax error, say remove a "$", then latex burps.
So I repair the error, replacing the "$" and run latexmk again.
Console:

------------
Latexmk: applying rule 'bibtex ARTICLE-DISPERSION'...
This is BibTeX, Version 0.99d (TeX Live 2010)
The top-level auxiliary file: ARTICLE-DISPERSION.aux
I found no \bibdata command---while reading file ARTICLE-DISPERSION.aux
I found no \bibstyle command---while reading file ARTICLE-DISPERSION.aux
(There were 2 error messages)
Collected error summary (may duplicate other messages):
  bibtex ARTICLE-DISPERSION: Bibtex errors: See file 'ARTICLE-DISPERSION.blg'
Latexmk: Use the -f option to force complete processing.
Latexmk: Errors, so I did not complete making targets
-------------

This is new from what I was getting before. But the diagnosis is not very helpful.
So I run latexmk again, and I get a "Runaway argument?" message, which is what I
was getting before. So, like before, I delete .aux files and run latexmk again
and everything returns to normal. Before I had to format twice, now latexmk
does that automatically.

My suggestion (hope) was that the "Runaway argument" + manual delete .aux
is unnecessary. Is there some reason that latexmk could not auto detect
the circumstance and do the .aux delete itself? Then repairing the error and
running latexmk once would return me to normality -- this is the behavior a naive
user would expect.

-dave

David Messerschmitt
Roger Strauch Professor Emeritus
Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences
University of California at Berkeley
      and
Visiting Researcher
SETI Institute