[OS X TeX] Item align

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Wed Jun 22 00:40:26 CEST 2011

On 22/06/2011, at 8:12 AM, David Arnold wrote:

> All,
>
> I am looking for a way to align the baseline of the first equation with the baseline of the item number.
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{amsmath}
> \begin{document}
>
> \begin{enumerate}
>
> \item
> \begin{align*}
> 2x+3y&=4\\
> 3x-4y&=12
> \end{align*}
>
> \end{enumerate}
> \end{document}
>
> I don't necessarily need to use the align environment.

Most certainly you do not want it, since it is an outer displayed-math environment.
AMSmath provides other methods for inner alignment, but you many have to fiddle with
the exact vertical placement.

e.g. here are 3 different solutions using sets of parameters to adjust the spacing:

\begin{enumerate}

\item
\begin{align*}
2x+3y&=4\\
3x-4y&=12
\end{align*}

\item
\hspace{.5cm}\lower.65\baselineskip\hbox{$\begin{aligned}
2x+3y&=4\\
3x-4y&=12
\end{aligned}$}

\item
\hspace{.5cm}\xy*!D(.125)\xybox{\xymatrix @R=0pt @C=0pt {
2x+3y&=&4\\
3x-4y&=&12
}}\endxy

\item
\hspace{.5cm}\xy*+!U(2.75)\xybox{$\begin{aligned}
2x+3y&=4\\
3x-4y&=12
\end{aligned}$}\endxy

\end{enumerate}