[OS X TeX] another bad page break problem

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Thu Jun 16 01:20:14 CEST 2011

Hi Art,

On 16/06/2011, at 7:48 AM, Art Werschulz wrote:

> Hi again.
>
> The needspace package worked very well for my solution environment.  Thanks Berend!
>
> I have another bad page break issue, which is illustrated by the attached files test2.tex and test2.pdf.  Here, we see a descriptive sentence followed by a table.  Is there some way to automatically force the descriptive sentence and the table to appear on the page.  One certainly use needspace, but I certainly wouldn't want to do this (say) every time I used the center environment.
>
> Thoughts?  This might not be solvable, since there might be some kind of judgement call involved here.

Using \goodbreak seems to work fine;
viz.

    \end{center}
    \goodbreak
    Here is the truth table for the conjectured expression for~$s$:
    \begin{center}
      \begin{tabular}{ccc|cc}
        $x$&$y$&$\cin$&$x\oplus y$&
        $x\oplus y\oplus \cin$\\
        \hline

Here is an alternative way to do it, using a math display
to obtain the centering:

    \end{center}
   Here is the truth table for the conjectured expression for~$s$:
   \nobreak
   $$
       \begin{tabular}{ccc|cc}
        $x$&$y$&$\cin$&$x\oplus y$&
        $x\oplus y\oplus \cin$\\
        \hline

This latter way also reduces the amount of space above the table,
which is otherwise a bit too much for my liking.

By the way, your use of upright text for descriptive words in subscripts
is laudable — most people get this wrong.

However not sure why you chose to use \operatorname .
It is sufficient to use \mathrm or \text ; viz.

     \newcommand\cin{c_{\mathrm{in}}}

     \newcommand\cin{c_{\text{in}}}

which doesn't carry the connotation of the subscript being a math operator.
For example, conversion of your coding into MathML would do something
undesirable here.

 \text is probably better to adopt generally, since it respects spaces
between words.
viz.
     \newcommand\cin{c_{\text{in order}}}

> Thanks once again.