[OS X TeX] MacTeX 2011 tested on Lion?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Jun 1 13:10:05 CEST 2011

On May 31, 2011, at 11:07 PM, Alan T Litchfield wrote:

> On 1/06/2011, at 1:14 AM, Juergen Fenn wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> on the TeX Live pretest page we read that the vintage versions of Mac OS
>> X Panther and Tiger will no longer be supported in MacTeX 2011.
>
> That's a shame. I keep an eMac running Tiger so I can run apparently outmoded Classic apps.
>
> Hmmm. Vintage. Wonder what that makes me then...
>
> Alan

Howdy,

With Lion coming up (and Xcode 4 on the side line --- it doesn't even come with 10.5 support) it becomes more and more difficult to support OS versions that are >2 versions behind.

The good new is that there will be a final MacTeX-2010 which has all the updates (via tlmgr/TLU) up to the recent freeze. Right now, with TL2010 frozen, it is still possible to do onw final update to TL2010. As far as I know, once TL2011 comes out the TL2010 repository will be archived and tlmgr/TLU will not be able to update the system so this new MacTeX-2010 will give a Tiger user the best we can do. Updating will then have to be done manually.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)