[OS X TeX] jsMath TeX fonts

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Fri Jul 29 23:13:35 CEST 2011

Hi Louis,

On 30/07/2011, at 6:45 AM, Louis Talman wrote:

> I just encountered a site that wants me to install "jsMath TeX fonts". It does direct me (through a chain two or three links long) to a site <http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsMath/> from which they can be downloaded.

Strange that it should be asking to do this.
Certainly websites built using jsMath would have a panel that
suggests doing this is a good thing --- which it is --- but
it should be giving other alternatives as well.

Which website was it?

Maybe the site is using MathJAX, which is the more modern
replacement for  jsMath ,  and maybe the behaviour is now
a bit more aggressive but still using the  jsMath fonts ?

If you have STIX (or XITS) or any other Unicode math font,
there should be a way to use these instead of requiring the
jsMath fonts --- yes, the javascripting is smart enough to
allow different kinds of font encodings to be used, if available.

> Does anyone know anything about these fonts? Are the part of the MecTeX 2010 installation (which I have installed---haven't gotten around to MacTeX 2011 yet)? If so, is there a way to tell Mac how to find them when a Web browser wants them?
>

> --Lou Talman
>  Department of Mathematical & Computer Sciences
>  Metropolitan State College of Denver
>
>  <http://rowdy.mscd.edu/%7Etalmanl>

Hope this helps,

	Ross