[OS X TeX] Tabular error & changing the numbering of subsections, ...

Robert Spence spence at saar.de
Sat Jan 29 10:48:06 CET 2011

Hi Don,

On 29 Jan 2011, at 10:05 , Don Green Dragon wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm working with the document class LaTeX {book}. The following source code
>
> \begin{tabular}{c | c | c}
> A & B & C\\
> \hline\\[-9pt]
> F & F & F
> \end{tabular}

As far as I know, a command like \hline can come _after_ an end-or-row command (\\) but not _before_ one. What are the results of simply typing the following?:

\begin{tabular}{c | c | c}
A & B & C\\
\hline
F & F & F
\end{tabular}

Often it pays to try to get used to the appearance of the "standard" results, rather than hacking... But you could try, perhaps:

\begin{tabular}{c | c | c}
A & B & C\\
\hline
\multicolumn{3}{c}{}\\[-12pt]
F & F & F
\end{tabular}

After the \\ the program expects a new table row; it starts trying to typeset one (hence the vertical line at the end of what should have been the first cell of that row); to overcome this you'd need to define a "dummy" row, as I did with the \multicolumn command above, then add even more negative leading  [12pt] or so, instead of [9pt]. But again, what's wrong with the standard tabular results?

Can't help with the other problem I'm afraid,
but...

HTH
-- Rob Spence

> does not typeset properly. Namely, the second vertical rule is broken into two pieces. Roughly
>
> A | B | C
> F | F | F
>
> Not counting the horizontal rule generated by \hline as "a row", the error is that above the second | in the second row (there is no third row, it just looks that way in my Ascii diagram), there is a vertical segment missing. I.E., it should look like
>
> A | B | C
>  |   |
> F | F | F
>
> In case you are wondering about the \\[-9pt] gimmick, that raises the F | F | F line so that there is not too much whitespace above it.

(...)