[OS X TeX] Quote environmnet versus lists

Chris Goedde cgg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 16:20:30 CET 2011

On Jan 24, 2011, at 3:23 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 24.01.2011 um 00:43 schrieb Chris Goedde:
>
>> Alternatively, is there a way to get the effect of the quote environment (shrinking the margins) without using the list command?
>
> You have the names of the spacers and I showed you how to determine their values and how to change them.
>
>> I don't want to have to manually re-adjust the spacing of the list every time it's inside the quote environment; this is something I actually do rather frequency.
>

> Once you've defined your own environment, you can include the corrections into the definition.

The problem with this sort of solution is that it's very fragile. The values you want to use for the spacing depend on the font size. Even worse, the values depend on where the list environment occurs relative to the quote environment, e.g. quote followed by itemize requires a different adjustment than itemize-quote-itemize.

It seems to me that a much more robust solution would be to prevent the quote environment from interacting with the other list environments to begin with, rather than trying to undo the damage. I don't guess that anyone knows how to do that?

Chris