[OS X TeX] Default Encoding

Rob Rye rowenrye at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 22:53:07 CET 2011

Dick,

On Jan 14, 2011, at 10:38 AM, Richard Koch wrote:

> Most mathematicians I know work with ordinary TeX or LaTeX. They routinely
> receive source code from Europe and elsewhere containing isolated non-ascii
> characters, often just in the bibliography. This source code is
> rarely UTF-8.
>

> Users of XeTeX and LuaTeX learn early on about unicode and should be able to
> make the required preference adjustment.

As a heavy user of Xe(La)TeX, I agree heartily with your position. I chose to use something that is picky in a particular way so I need to be the one who makes a preference change.

Thanks for the awesome product, and especially for the flexibility you have built into it.

------
Rob Rye, Ph.D.
Consulting Scientist
With Publications in:
Atmospheric Chemistry (ancient), Astrobiology, Climate Science, Geochemistry, Geology, Microbial Metabolism and Ecology, and Micropaleontology
rowenrye at gmail.com

NASA Astrobiology Institute
Charter co-Investigator on Virtual Planetary Laboratory
http://vpl.astro.washington.edu