[OS X TeX] Configuring LaTeX produced PDF's for a Kindle

Louis Talman talmanl at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 07:50:39 CET 2011

On Jan 4, 2011, at 10:49 PM, David Derbes wrote:

> This was the Kindle 3, and a fairly recent one at that. I simply do not know if I was lucky, or maybe just used such a small set of math primitives that the PDF was handled correctly.
>
> It could be that the newer Kindles do a better job with PDF's. I'm going to try the geometry package and see how that goes. I'll let the list know, but it will have to wait a bit, I'm swamped at work.

Mine is also one of the newer Kindles (bought in early November).  Take my word for it:  If you use Amazon's free conversion service (the one that works via e-mail with "convert" in the subject field) on a .pdf produced by the default configuration of LaTeX/TeXShop, the mathematical symbols---those in displayed equations particularly---become garbage.

Commercially published e-books for Kindle are, no doubt, another story---because Amazon charges a considerable amount of money for many of them.  They could not do so if displayed mathematical symbols became nonsense after conversion of such texts to .mobi format.

--Lou Talman
  Metropolitan State College of Denver

  <http://rowdy.mscd.edu/%7Etalmanl>