[OS X TeX] Configuring LaTeX produced PDF's for a Kindle

David Derbes loki at uchicago.edu
Tue Jan 4 14:25:37 CET 2011

Hi, Themis.

I have done this exactly once, but it seemed very simple. The Kindle 3 has a recharging USB cable; one end is a standard mains plug for a two pronged outlet, but the plug is a snap-in USB female to standard US outlet converter. You pull that off, and you wind up with a USB cable very much as you would have for an electronic camera or Palm or something. That can be used to charge the Kindle on a computer's USB port, but also serves as a data conduit. I connected the Kindle to a USB jack on my Mac. On my Mac the Kindle shows up as a flash drive or removable hard drive, and I simply dragged my own PDF to the Kindle. The PDF then showed up in the list of contents on the Kindle. Disconnected, and that was that.

The problem is that each page, though rendered perfectly on the Kindle (no problem with equations, diagrams, you name it), was in microscopic type. Yes, I could read it, but it would give you a migraine in twenty minutes.

The links provided by William in this thread were extremely helpful, and I will investigate them further when I have some free time, in a few weeks.

David Derbes
U of Chicago Lab Schools