[OS X TeX] Syncing in one direction only

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 05:55:18 CET 2011

On Dec 31, 2010, at 8:36 PM, Don Green Dragon wrote:

> However, maybe the above will help you to locate texmf.cnf in your
> system!  :-)  Then I could copy what you have!?

I am terminally allergic to terminal. I had to get severely drunk to
get myself to follow Voisin's instruction. As I recall it, it was
only a matter of replacing that p by some other letter. But I sweated
a lot.

> Ok, now it is clear why I'm in difficulty. I need to apply Voisin's
> fix.

Can't hurt to try.

> Yes, but how does \jobname obtain its values 1, 2, 3, .... ?

 From the file name. The Fink package does it too but TeXShop cannot
read it in %!TEX root =

>  although I've yet to set up the equivalents to your ../StyleSheets/
> Preamble} and ../StyleSheets/GraphicsPaths. What is the actual
> suffix to <path to>/StyleSheets/Preamble? Should it be .sty?

No. \usepackage does not use any suffix. I think LaTeX looks for it
in texmf by default but follows the path that you give: As usual, ../
tells LaTeX to get out of the folder Controls and then to look around
(in the folder Controls) for the folder StyleSheets and then look
inside for the file Preamble.sty

>> You still have to turn the includeonly on and off. In "my" setup,
>> I want to work on a chapter, I just open it. Period. Don't have to
>> deal with any other file.
>
> I don't follow the advantage!

For me, "I want to work on a chapter, I just open it" is the one and
only way.

> When you want to work on chapter 16 (your Contents/16.tex), you
> have to know the page number on which chapter 15 ends.

Why?

> If after working on chapter 16 for a while, you return to chapter 5
> and make some additions or deletions, then your manual \addtocounter
> {page}{...} commands may be all screwed up.

Of course but I don't worry about the page numbers in individual
chapters. Once in a very long while, I typeset the whole book and
from that I may---or may not, the usual case---adjust the counters in
the chapter files. I don't see that I need them.

> If I want to work on chapter 3, I uncomment the single line (in the
> master/root file)

Yes but, for instance, I may open 5.tex, copy something, open 17.tex,
past it there, just realize that now I must move another thing from
there to 13.tex. And so on. I open and close files as I happen to
need them which I usually don't know ahead of time.

> % \includeonly{ChapN/ChapterN}	% change N and uncomment when needed
>
> --- there may be a ../ missing above! :-) --- and change the value
> of N to 3. On returning to chapter 1 and making additions/
> deletions, then a single typeset of the the Master/Root file ---
> with the \includeonly line commented out --- repairs the page numbers.

The page numbers are necessarily correct in the WholeBook since the
control file contains all the \include.

> Of course, on completing chapter 3, it is bad organization to go
> back to chapter 1 and make major changes, but ....

... you never know and it happens to me all the time.

> Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be the asshole critic,

You are not.

> merely trying to be sure how your system works!

I mentioned the set up, it is incumbent to me to follow suit.

>>> For example, when MyBook/Chap1/Chapter1.tex is typeset, then TeX
>>> creates the accompanying MyBook/Chap1/Chapter1.aux, and so on
>>> down the line. After you've completed both MyBook/Chap1/
>>> Chapter1.tex and MyBook/Chap1/Chapter2.tex, then a typeset of
>>> MyBook/MyBook.tex will create a TOC, LOT, and LOF which TeX
>>> remembers and displays when you start working on MyBook/Chap1/
>>> Chapter3.tex. I find that very useful when working on chapter 3.
>>
>> With titletoc, the chapter toc remains in front of the chapter in
>> the whole book, in addition to the book's toc.
>
> That's very good.

Here is the code:

\titlecontents{chapter}%Type of sectioning command is CHAPTER
	[6pc]%Indentation from the left margin. NOT AN OPTIONAL ARGUMENT
	{%begin code to be executed before entry is typeset
		\addvspace{1pc}%Vertical space
		\bfseries%Affects the title
%		\titlerule[2pt]
		\filright%
	}%end code to be executed before entry is typeset
	{%begin format numbered entries---in horizontal mode
		\contentslabel%The number of the entry
		[%
			\chaptername%
			\ %this slash puts a space between Chapter and number
			\thecontentslabel%
		]%
		{6pc}%Space between entry number and entry title
	}%end format numbered entries---in horizontal mode
	{%begin format numberless entries---in horizontal mode
	}%end format numberless entries---in horizontal mode
	{%begin dotted line and page number
		\hfill%
		\contentspage%
	}%end  dotted line and page number
	[%
	\addvspace{2pt}%Vertical space between entry and list of subentries
	]%

\newcommand\xquad
{\hspace{0.4em plus .2em minus .2em}}

\titlecontents*{p-section}%Type of sectioning command is SECTION
	[0pt]%Indentation from the left margin. NOT AN OPTIONAL ARGUMENT
	{%begin code to be executed before entry is typeset
		\filright%
		\small
	}%end code to be executed before entry is typeset
	{%begin format numbered entries---in horizontal mode
	}%end format numberless entries---in horizontal mode
	{%begin format numberless entries---in horizontal mode
	}%end format numberless entries---in horizontal mode
	{%begin dotted line and page number
	, %~%this tilde puts a space after the comma
	\thecontentspage
	}%end dotted line and page number
	[%begin
	\xquad%
	--
	\xquad
	]%end

\newcommand{\ChapterToc}%
	{%Begin definition
		\startcontents[chapters]
		\printcontents[chapters]{p-}{1}{}
		\vspace{10mm}
	}%End definition

>  And, yes, the people on this list are incredibly helpful.  :-)

They are.

> Ah! So that's how you get a table for contents for the chapter in
> question. Neat! I have not implemented the same, but it is an
> interesting idea.

See the code above. The doc is a bit hermetic and it took me a while
to get it.

>> And that was even more important for the ancillaries. For a full
>> working set of blanks, see http://www.freemathtexts.org/System/
>> Downloads.php I have attached a screenshot of the folder (The file
>> preamble.tex is ill-named)
>
> As to the Ancillaries Management System, it is downloading at the
> moment!  :-)  I'll have a look.

It's a bit idiosyncratic.

Regards
--schremmer