[OS X TeX] Syncing in one direction only

Don Green Dragon fergdc at Shaw.ca
Sat Jan 1 02:36:13 CET 2011

Hi Alain,

On 2010-31Dec-, at 9:00 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

>>> I did it following Bruno Voisin's instructions on this list on March 22, 2007 1:35:26 PM EDT
>>
>> I have not done that! Since texmf.cnf is such a brief file (here), what is in yours?
>
> I have forgotten how to open it. All I remember is that when I changed the "p" to whatever Voisin said, I never got the message again and all was smooth.

Here I opened Terminal.app and gave

$ kpsewhich texmf.cnf

and the reply was

/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf.cnf

so I cd'ed to /usr/local/texlive/2010/ and gave

$ type texmf.cnf

and back came

texmf.cnf is ./texmf.cnf

I have difficulty believing the above because before my previous reply, I somehow stumbled across that texmf.cnf guy and the content consisted of several lines, at least three, plus some comments. So, as usual, I'm not sure what is going on!

However, maybe the above will help you to locate texmf.cnf in your system!  :-)  Then I could copy what you have!?

>>> (2) I have attached a zip of a minimum example which---I just checked---works here.
>>
>> Well ..... it works here too, in the following sense. If I try to TYPESET (in your examples) either Contents/1.tex or Controls/1.tex, the console consistently gives two main complaints (for example):
>>
>> No file ../Contents/1.aux
>>
>> and
>>
>> ./1.tex:7: I can't write on file `../Contents/1.aux (openout_any=p)
>
> Yes, I remember but, as far as I can remember, once I changed the "p" everything worked as advertised.

Ok, now it is clear why I'm in difficulty. I need to apply Voisin's fix.

<<snip>>
>> \relax
>> \@input{../Contents/1.aux}
>
> Yes and here are the contents of Contents/1.aux once LaTeX can write it:
>
> \relax
> \@writefile{toc}{\contentsline {chapter}{\numberline {1}Chapter The First}{1}}
> \@writefile{lof}{\addvspace {10\p@ }}
> \@writefile{lot}{\addvspace {10\p@ }}
> \@writefile{toc}{\contentsline {section}{\numberline {1.1}section the first}{1}}
> \@setckpt{../Contents/1}{
> \setcounter{page}{2}
> \setcounter{equation}{0}
> \setcounter{enumi}{0}
> \setcounter{enumii}{0}
> \setcounter{enumiii}{0}
> \setcounter{enumiv}{0}
> \setcounter{footnote}{0}
> \setcounter{mpfootnote}{0}
> \setcounter{part}{0}
> \setcounter{chapter}{1}
> \setcounter{section}{1}
> \setcounter{subsection}{0}
> \setcounter{subsubsection}{0}
> \setcounter{paragraph}{0}
> \setcounter{subparagraph}{0}
> \setcounter{figure}{0}
> \setcounter{table}{0}
> }

The files that were created when I supply a filename, e.g., rae, are precisely like the one you give above, but they appear as Controls/rae.tex and do NOT show up in Contents/. So I'm guessing that Voisin's fix will eliminate all that.

>>> (4)	I use %!TEX root = ../Controls/\jobname.tex so as to avoid entering chapter numbers by hand and making mistakes.
>>
>> I still don't follow your \jobname device! The only reference I could find was in the LaTeX Companion on page 754 and the example did not enlighten me.  :--(  It works though!  :-)
>
> TeXShop can read it after %!TEX root = but other editors probably cannot.  But I use it a lot with the ancillaries.

Yes, but how does \jobname obtain its values 1, 2, 3, .... ? At first, I thought it was a user-defined counter!

<<snip>>
> This was a minimal example. Here is an actual control file for a book I wrote:
>
> \documentclass[11pt]{book}
> %ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssBegin PREAMBLE
> \usepackage{../StyleSheets/Preamble}
> \usepackage{../StyleSheets/GraphicsPaths}
> % sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss End PREAMBLE
> \begin{document}
> % sssssssssssss Begin ADJUSTMENTS to DOCUMENT
> 	\addtocounter{page}{496}
> 	\addtocounter{chapter}{16}
> % sssssssssssssss End ADJUSTMENTS to DOCUMENT
> 	\include{../Text-contents/\jobname}
> \end{document}
>
> The only thing that changes from chapter to chapter are the two addtocounter .

Ah! The above looks good to me, although I've yet to set up the equivalents to your ../StyleSheets/Preamble} and ../StyleSheets/GraphicsPaths. What is the actual suffix to <path to>/StyleSheets/Preamble? Should it be .sty?

>> 	Chap1/Chapter1.tex   Chap2/Chapter2.tex ... ChapN/ChapterN.tex
>>
>> Other than the preamble, the file MyBook/MyBook.tex would consist mainly of \include commands to form the front matter, main matter, and back matter, plus an \includeonly{...} entry in the preamble when working on a particular chapter.
>
> I used \includeonly for a while and it got me into trouble. Can't remember how but it was bad. That is when I started on what eventually became "my" setup

Oh, Oh!!! So far, so good with \includeonly but more testing is required here.

>> In this way, TeX keeps track of everything (I think) and no manual intervention is needed.
>
> You still have to turn the includeonly on and off. In "my" setup, I want to work on a chapter, I just open it. Period. Don't have to deal with any other file.

I don't follow the advantage! When you want to work on chapter 16 (your Contents/16.tex), you have to know the page number on which chapter 15 ends. If after working on chapter 16 for a while, you return to chapter 5 and make some additions or deletions, then your manual \addtocounter{page}{...} commands may be all screwed up.

If I want to work on chapter 3, I uncomment the single line (in the master/root file)

% \includeonly{ChapN/ChapterN}	% change N and uncomment when needed

--- there may be a ../ missing above! :-) --- and change the value of N to 3. On returning to chapter 1 and making additions/deletions, then a single typeset of the the Master/Root file --- with the \includeonly line commented out --- repairs the page numbers.

Of course, on completing chapter 3, it is bad organization to go back to chapter 1 and make major changes, but ....

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be the asshole critic, merely trying to be sure how your system works!

>> For example, when MyBook/Chap1/Chapter1.tex is typeset, then TeX creates the accompanying MyBook/Chap1/Chapter1.aux, and so on down the line. After you've completed both MyBook/Chap1/Chapter1.tex and MyBook/Chap1/Chapter2.tex, then a typeset of MyBook/MyBook.tex will create a TOC, LOT, and LOF which TeX remembers and displays when you start working on MyBook/Chap1/Chapter3.tex. I find that very useful when working on chapter 3.
>
> With titletoc, the chapter toc remains in front of the chapter in the whole book, in addition to the book's toc.

That's very good.

>> Of course, there would be other subdirectories of MyBook, like AppA, for Appendix A, and so forth .... but the principle is the same.
>>
>> Sorry for the details, as all this may be familiar to you,
>
> Not at all. When I designed my own setup, I had nothing to go by and I was lucky eventually to get what I needed with the help of a lot of people on the list.

Well, it certainly is an interesting organization. And, yes, the people on this list are incredibly helpful.  :-)

>> but I've been muddling it out after a rather bad start. I don't what to get to chapter 10, and suddenly realize that the whole damn setup should be reorganized.
>
> That's the point of "my" setup: the contents files contain only the contents and are completely separate from the way you use them. Here is the way all chapter files begin:
>
> %!TEX root = ../Text-controls/\jobname.tex
> \chapter{ChapterTitle}
> \ChapterToc

Ah! So that's how you get a table for contents for the chapter in question. Neat! I have not implemented the same, but it is an interesting idea.

> And that was even more important for the ancillaries. For a full working set of blanks, see http://www.freemathtexts.org/System/Downloads.php I have attached a screenshot of the folder (The file preamble.tex is ill-named)

As to the Ancillaries Management System, it is downloading at the moment!  :-)  I'll have a look.

Don Green Dragon
fergdc at Shaw.ca