[OS X TeX] pslatex body text width vs. footnote text width

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon Feb 28 19:59:40 CET 2011

On Feb 28, 2011, at 1:42 PM, Eric Bakovic wrote:

> I'm formatting a book that requires very specific margin settings and Times font, so I'm using geometry (for the margins) and pslatex (for the font).

Isn't pslatex obsolete? Is there a reason you aren't using mathptmx? (if you need to use latex/dvips or pdflatex) or xelatex (as Alan suggested).

> The following minimal working example demonstrates the problem: the footnote text is ever so slightly wider than the body text. Does anyone have any suggestions (including plain old hacks) for reducing the width of the footnote text to match that of the body? I've done my best to scour the web for ideas but nothing has emerged.

I believe it's an optical trick, or some aspect of poor font rendering caused by using the not exhaustively hinted Times clone as Alan mentioned.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer