[OS X TeX] pslatex body text width vs. footnote text width

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Mon Feb 28 19:54:31 CET 2011

Hi Eric,

If you load geometry with the [showframe] option, the footnote text definitely doesn't extend over it.  So I'm not quite sure I see the problem.  Even at 600 magnification,

Secondly, why are you using pslatex instead of e.g. XeLaTeX for this document? With pslatex you get the Nimbus clone of Times; if you use xelatex you get real Times (and otherwise no difference between the two files.)

Third, if you need to do lots of formatting of the book, I would strongly recommend using the memoir class instead of book class.

% !TEX TS-program = XeLaTeX

\documentclass[10pt,b5paper]{book}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont[Mapping=text-tex]{Times}
%\usepackage{pslatex}
%\usepackage[OT1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[vcentering,dvips,showframe]{geometry}
\geometry{papersize={156mm,234mm},total={114mm,196mm}}
\begin{document}
\vspace*{\fill}
This line demonstrates the length of a line of text in this document. That's all it does, really. Truly. Now check out the width of a footnote line.\footnote{It's ever so slighly longer than the line of text above. Do you see it? If not, look more closely. Or even more closely.}
\end{document}

Alan