[OS X TeX] Which OS X fonts with matching math fonts?

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Fri Feb 25 00:23:14 CET 2011

On Feb 24, 2011, at 2:46 PM, <luci at verbeia.com> <luci at verbeia.com> wrote:

>> On Feb 22, 2011, at 3:44 AM, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
>>
>> I updated my mathsamples document recently. Among other things it provides
>> a number of one page samples of Hoefler Text with various math packages,
>> both free and otherwise. IMO, Hoefler Text is very sharp looking, with
>> many great features, but the fact that the only bold provided is a Black
>> weight makes for a disconcerting contrast on the page. It combines quite
>> well with the (free) Mathtime Pro 2 Lite math fonts from pctex, as long as
>> you don't use bold greek letters, which have to be simulated.
>>
>> http://math.ucsd.edu/~msharpe/mathsamples.pdf
>>
>> Michael
>
> Michael, there are some packages and font support in your examples that
> I'm not aware of, particular the adobecaslon package. They don't seem to
> be on CTAN either, or at least not that I saw on a quick check. Has
> someone actually created support files for the fonts in the Adobe Type
> Basics package?
>
> Luci

Luci,

As far as I know, the support files are not generally available. I made my own support files starting with otf versions of some fonts packages, based on a variant of the otfinst script using TeXFontUtility as a front end. The associated math packages are virtual font packages which use fontinst to effectively insert text italic and text bold into the Mathtime Pro 2 Lite math fonts. This can be very fiddling work, but TeXFontUtility provides visual tools to adjust the side-bearings, subscript position and accent position for each newly introduced glyph with a minimum of effort. After some practice, I could fine-tune a new virtual math font package in about an hour. The sty file takes care of defining \mathrm to the text roman font in force when the sty file is loaded, providing operator names using your text font. I haven't packaged these for distribution, but I'd be happy to share.

Michael