[OS X TeX] Two problems with TeXworks

"M. Tamer Özsu" ozsut at mac.com
Thu Feb 24 01:15:06 CET 2011

On 2011-02-24, at 1:58 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 23 Feb 2011, at 17:12, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:

>>> It is actually not that odd -- when you click on that red button, you are not
>>> quitting the application, but only closing the window. If you check it, you
>>> will see that TeXworks is still running. So, you need to open a new window
>>> (as you indicate), not restart the application.
>>>
>> Thanks for the details. I understand that the red button doesn't close the app.
>> I simply would expect double-clicking the icon in the dock when the app is
>> running with all windows closed to Do The Right Thing, in that case open a new
>> window, rather than forcing me to think "what I want to do is open a new window,
>> so let's hit cmd-N."
>>
>> Not that it's a big problem, but that's what I'd come to expect from my very
>> short experience with other apps on OS X.
>
> Yes; if the app is running but has no windows open, clicking the Dock icon ought to trigger the same response as launching the app when it's not running at all - by default, a new window, unless you change the startup action in the preferences.
>
> We should fix that for the next release, really.
>
> JK

I really don't think opening a new window when you click on an app in the Dock is the standard response of other apps. In a number of apps, this is a choice that you indicate in the preferences. You can choose to open a new window or to not do anything or it can prompt you to open an existing document. If it is going to be "fixed", perhaps it is best to add a preference to this effect.

==Tamer