[OS X TeX] Two problems with TeXworks

Alan T Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Wed Feb 23 20:10:10 CET 2011

On 24/02/2011, at 6:58 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 23 Feb 2011, at 17:12, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:

>>> It is actually not that odd -- when you click on that red button,
>>> you are not
>>> quitting the application, but only closing the window. If you
>>> check it, you
>>> will see that TeXworks is still running. So, you need to open a
>>> new window
>>> (as you indicate), not restart the application.
>>>
>> Thanks for the details. I understand that the red button doesn't
>> close the app.
>> I simply would expect double-clicking the icon in the dock when the
>> app is
>> running with all windows closed to Do The Right Thing, in that case
>> open a new
>> window, rather than forcing me to think "what I want to do is open
>> a new window,
>> so let's hit cmd-N."
>>
>> Not that it's a big problem, but that's what I'd come to expect
>> from my very
>> short experience with other apps on OS X.
>
> Yes; if the app is running but has no windows open, clicking the
> Dock icon ought to trigger the same response as launching the app
> when it's not running at all - by default, a new window, unless you
> change the startup action in the preferences.

Except that the application is already running and the Dock only
provides a launch command when an icon is clicked. If it is not
already launched then, then it will launch, but if it already running
there is nothing to launch. If a person is use to running Windows then
I can see why it may be confusing where clicking on the red cross (I
think) quits an application, but Mac OS X is not Windows.

When the icon in the Dock to launch the application was clicked, It
Did The Right Thing. It launched the application. To insist that it
should open a new window each time it is clicked Does the Wrong Thing,
in fact if it is already running, clicking on it brings the
application to the front - so, should it do both? Ugh messy.

> We should fix that for the next release, really.

Perhaps you could have a right click option to open a new window from
the Dock if there is not already a window open. This behaviour is
normal but some applications do it badly, such as Groupwise where if I
accidentally close the main window there is no option to open a new
one because the New Main Window function exists `inside' the Main
Window.

⌘-n is normal, isn't it?

Alan