[OS X TeX] Which OS X fonts with matching math fonts?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Feb 22 14:40:25 CET 2011

On Feb 22, 2011, at 5:44 AM, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Mac OS X comes with quite a lot of very nice fonts, and it's easy to use them
> from LaTeX with XeLaTeX. Not using a Mac myself, I'm not very familiar with
> those fonts, in particular I don't which of them blend well with one the math
> fonts provided with TeX Live.
>
> I'd like to give recommend to a LaTeX beginner who is currently using Times
> (from OpenOffice) something that looks better and is just as easy to use for
> documents containing a lot of (not-so-complicated) math.
>
> I'd rather avoid the good old Latin Mordern if possible just to show off that
> LaTeX isn't just Latin Modern (any more) :-)
>
> I'm looking primarily for serif fonts, but sans fonts would be fine too, for
> beamer slides.
>
> Thanks in advance for your advice.
>
> Manuel.
>
> PS: what I have in mind is something like
>
> \setmainfont{Adobe Garamond Pro}
> \usepackage[garamond]{mathdesign}
>
> but with a font distributed with OS X in place of Garamond.

Howdy,

Just using (pdf)latex, rather than xelatex, you can try the fourier package which uses Utopia for the serif font. I like to use Bera Sans and Bera Mono scaled with that font for the sans-serif and typewriter font. Here are the package commands:

\usepackage{fourier}
\usepackage[scaled=0.85]{berasans}
\usepackage[scaled=0.85]{beramono}

and I think they look nice together.