[OS X TeX] ps2eps as of 2009 was out of date

Arthur Snoke snoke at vt.edu
Fri Feb 11 15:08:16 CET 2011

I describe below a problem I had and its solution.  It had to do with
program ps2eps not producing an optimal BoundingBox.  This may not be an
issue for its use within LaTeX-land, or the current package may have a
newer version, but this report might be of interest to some on this list.

This is the version of ps2eps that came with my 2009 distribution:

Jul 31  2009 /usr/texbin/ps2eps@ -> ../../texmf/scripts/ps2eps/ps2eps.pl

I used it with a .ps file produced by another program and found the
BoundingBox too tight (clipped on the bottom).  I could not find a MAN
page, so looked on the Web.  I found this version is version 1.61, and the
most recent version on the Web (August 2010) is 1.68.

To solve my problem, I could use either the -g switch (which forces a
Ghostscript BoundingBox) or a -l (loose) option -- which does not seem to
exist in 1.61.  These could be automated with an alias such as
alias ps2eps 'ps2eps -l -q' or, (for -g) an environmental variable.

Maybe there are MAN pages but in the TeX package and I just don't have the
path, or one can use the --help switch (which I had forgotten).