[OS X TeX] Job start message question

Doug McKenna doug at mathemaesthetics.com
Thu Feb 10 18:20:26 CET 2011

Greetings,

Each job I run (using System 10.4, TeXShop 2008 distribution, LaTeX
format), the console begins with four message lines saying:

 This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.1415926-1.40.9 (Web2C 7.5.7)
 \write18 enabled.
 %&-line parsing enabled.
 entering extended mode

My understanding is that the second line means system commands might be
executed, representing a security issue.

But I don't understand what the next two lines mean.  The problem with
searching the web for these phrases is that the vast majority of matches
are to similar log files, so that didn't help much.

Thanks in advance for any elucidation.

Doug McKenna