[OS X TeX] Spell check by TeXShop

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Dec 21 22:51:00 CET 2011

On Dec 21, 2011, at 3:07 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2011, at 1:55 PM, R. Vijay Krishna wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm having some trouble with the spell check in TeXShop.  I use some shortcuts for typing; for instance, using
>>
>> \newcommand{\calF}{\mathcal{F}}
>>
>> in the preamble allows me to type $\calF$ in the text.  But as I type $\calF$, the spell checker (I use Aspell) automatically converts this to $\calf$ which, of course, isn't what I want.  Am I doing something wrong?  Is this new behaviour?  I have been using such shortcuts for a decade now, and this seems to be a Lion-related issue.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Vijay
>

> Howdy,
>
> Welcome to Apple's auto-correct feature. Please see if Text Replacement in Edit->Substitutions is checked. If it is, uncheck it. If it isn't check it and then uncheck it. Please let me know if that fixes things.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

You might need to make sure that System Preferences->Language & Text->Spelling is set to English(Aspell) rather than Automatic. Finally, you may (I still have it checked and I don't get those incredibly annoying automatic fixes) have to un-check Correct spelling automatically.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)