[OS X TeX] Re: embedding fonts

Nicola nvitacolonna at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 15:57:06 CET 2011

In article <6CCD4427-9865-4A11-8EF4-D1148B4FE902 at tcd.ie>,
 Bridget Kane <kaneb at tcd.ie> wrote:

> How do I know if my fonts are properly embedded?

One way, already pointed out, is to use Adobe Reader. Another possibility is the
command-line tool pdffonts:

pdffonts mydocument.pdf

The output is similar to the following:

name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
AAAAAB+Frutiger-Roman                TrueType          yes yes no       9  0
AAAAAB+Helvetica-Narrow              TrueType          yes yes no      13  0

The 'emb' column tells you whether the font is embedded and the 'sub' command
tells you whether a subset of the font has been embedded.

You may get pdffonts with Poppler (http://poppler.freedesktop.org/) or with Xpdf
(I think). In turn, you may install Poppler or Xpdf if you have MacPorts or
Homebrew.

> And is there any way that I can ensure that they are embedded properly?

I am not an expert, but this may help you:
http://www.tug.org/mactex/fonts/AboutEmbedding.pdf

Nicola