[OS X TeX] Increasing font size in math mode

R Martinez rm.tech at mac.com
Thu Dec 15 01:10:30 CET 2011

Hi everybody,

Below is a test file that describes the problem, which is as follows. I want to use the Zapf Chancery font to display the letter A in math mode. To do so, I use the command \DeclareMathAlphabet{\zcit}{T1}{pzc}{m}{it}. This produces the desired A, but the symbol is too small and I would like to increase its size to match that of the symbol obtained with \mathcal(A).

I have spent a fair amount of time scouring documents, books, the web, to no avail. Asking the list is my last resort.

Thanks in advance.

Happy holidays,

Raul Martinez

-----------file follows-----------

\documentclass[12pt]{article}

%-------Packages----------------------------------------

\usepackage{lmodern}
\usepackage{amsmath, amssymb,amsthm}

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{textcomp}

\DeclareMathAlphabet{\zcit}{T1}{pzc}{m}{it}

%-------------------------------------------------------

\begin{document}

%-------Title-------------------------------------------

\title{Compare Symbol Size}
\date{13 December 2011}

\maketitle
%------------------------------------------------------
\section{Comparing font size}

$\backslash$mathcal command \\

$\mathcal{A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z}$ \\

Declared a math alphabet with the command \\

$\backslash$DeclareMathAlphabet\{$\backslash$zcit\}\{T1\}\{pzc\}\{m\}\{it\}  \\

The following command compares the symbol size \\

\$$\backslash$zcit\{A\}, $\backslash$mathcal\{A\}\$  \\

$\zcit{A}, \mathcal{A}$ \\

How can the size of $\zcit{A}$ be increased to match the size of $ \mathcal{A}$?

\end{document}