[OS X TeX] Suddenly, I'm Italian

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Dec 2 00:46:58 CET 2011

On Dec 1, 2011, at 5:25 PM, Justin C. Walker wrote:

> Not that there's anything wrong with that, but...
>
> I'm using the latest TeXShop on Mac OS X, 10.6.8, and have updated my Tex Live 2011 base as of a couple of hours ago.
>
> I did the following in TeXShop:
>
> \beTAB
>
> which gave me
>
> \begin{
>
> I then typed "definitESC" and got a list, from which I chose "definition".  Then I typed "\enTAB", which gave me
>
> \end{.}
>
> and I typed, again, "definitESC".  This time, I got a list of Italian words (including "definizione", which would have been OK in another time and place).  Retrying previously successful completions left me at the mercy of the Italian dictionary.
>
> Nothing unusual in the system logs.
>
> Will pander for clues.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Justin

Howdy,

Looks like you are using a combination of TeXShop's Command Completion (e.g., \be+TAB --- you appear to have set TAB as the trigger) and Apple's Completion (e.g., definit+ESC). Here's what you should do and you should be happier too: \be+TAB to get \begin{; definit+ESC and choose definition; close the } and then press TAB again and you should get \end{definition} so you have nothing to add.

If you use the definition environment a good deal why not add it to the completion list. On an empty line write

\bdef:=\begin{definition}#RET##INS#•#INS##RET#\end{definition}•

then select that line execute Source->Command Completion->Add Word (Shft-Cmd-W). From then on just write

\bdef+TAB

and you should get

\begin{definition}
|•|
\end{definition}•

where |•| is a selected bullet which will go away the moment you start to type. I usually place a final bullet (Mark) at the end of an environment so that I can jump there quickly using Source->Command Completion->Marks->Next Mark (Clt-Cmd-F).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)