[OS X TeX] TeXShop 3.01 for Lion

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Mon Aug 1 22:22:23 CEST 2011

On Aug 1, 2011, at 1:19 PM, Di Xiao wrote:

> Dick,
>
> The following problem might be already reported.  In TeXShop-64, when
> scrolling the text in the source window, the line number on the left
> does not change.  My operation system is OS X Lion 10.7.0.
>
> Thanks,

Here is a reply I just sent someone else.

-----------

Aha, you discovered the problem and also one fix. Lion has two scroller styles,
called "legacy scrollers" and "overlay scrollers". In the default configuration, it
chooses scroller style depending on the user's system and peripherals. On a
desktop machine with a regular mouse, you get legacy scrollers. If you add a
trackpad to that machine, or run on a portable with a trackpad, you get overlay
scrollers. And as you have discovered, line number scrolling doesn't work with overlay
scrollers.

Incidentally, there is another workaround. If you split the source window, then
scrolling works in the upper part of the window.

Last week after careful debugging, we discovered that this is a bug in Lion.
Indeed we can reproduce the problem in a program without only about 15 lines
of code. The bug has been reported to Apple.

My colleague Yusuke Terada sent me a patch over the weekend to
temporarily fix the problem until Apple fixes the bug. I'm polishing his patch right now.
We will release version 3.02 of TeXShop in a day or two with this patch.

Dick Koch