[OS X TeX] mathtime not working (for the upteenth time)

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Fri Apr 22 01:29:13 CEST 2011

On Apr 21, 2011, at 3:28 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> I know that TeX Live Utility has a check box in it's Preferences that says ``install updates for all users'' but I'm not sure what that does. I don't know enough about tlmgr directly to say what that will do.
>
> If you don't share your computer with other users you can do what I do. I put all personal fonts (e.g., Lucida, mathtime pro, etc.) in the texmf-local branch, make sure to run `sudo texhash' and use `sudo updmap-sys' or `sudo -H updmap-sys'. If you want to keep your personal fonts in your personal texmf tree, as you do now, and don't mind using the system-wide map to point to your fonts (this is what I used to do with gwtex) use `sudo updmap-sys' (DON'T use the `-H') to enable you personal fonts map files; this need only be done once and only has to be repeated if you install a new version of MacTeX(TeX Live).

About 18 months ago, Adam Maxwell confirmed on this list that if ``install updates for all users'' is checked, and if map files are installed, then  tlmgr runs, in effect, sudo -H updmap-sys. If unchecked, the effect is to run sudo updmap-sys.

The choice here seems quite stark.
Choice A (the default): Check ``install updates for all users''. You must install your personal font maps in texmf-local or they will be disabled whenever you update the distribution with TeX Live Utility and that update contains map files. You must always run sudo -H updmap-sys.
Choice B: Uncheck ``install updates for all users''. You may install font map files in any texmf tree. (i) Always use  sudo updmap-sys to update. (ii) Use updmap to update. In my opinion, this is a very poor choice because it creates a personal updmap.cfg which can be out of sync with one in the system that changes whenever a font map is updated in the distribution so that you won't get the benefit of those updates.

I don't know if there's a down-side to Choice B if you are the sole user on your machine. In any case, I plan to stick with A.

Michael