[OS X TeX] Side by Side

Don Green Dragon fergdc at Shaw.ca
Sat Apr 2 06:06:15 CEST 2011

Hi All,

Reading The LaTeX Companion (2nd) is an exercise in frustration and amazement. What constantly amazes me are their displays where, for example, two boxes of prose will appear side by side. On page 140 there is an example wherein theorem-like environments are defined --- source code for that given --- then the typeset version of that code is placed "on the left" while the source code sits to the right. I understand the code, but have no clue how they set things up so that (roughly displayed)

Typeset version		Source code is to the
intrudes into		right of the typeset
left margin and		version and extends to
into the page		the regular right margin.

The example in question is 3-3-20. How in heavens name do they do that?

The above is prompted by trying to include a small figure as if it were in inline mode; ie., something like

	The line begins here and the icon <<figure for icon>> is placed within the line.

I expected that what I tried would not work, and I was not disappointed!  ;-)

Don Green Dragon
fergdc at Shaw.ca