[OS X TeX] Removing 32-bit Tex Engine

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Sep 25 00:02:56 CEST 2010

On Sep 24, 2010, at 4:43 PM, R Martinez wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I notice that the TeX distribution for TeXLive 2010 shows two options: TeXLive-2010 and TeXLive-2010-64.
>
> I use only the TeXLive-2010-64 version on my MBPro, and would like to delete the TeXLive-2010 version, which I assume must be a 32-bit version.
>
> I will appreciate advice about the following:
>
> 1. Is it a good idea to delete the 32-bit version? Are there unintended consequences to doing so?
>
> 2. If it is OK to remove the 32-bit version, what is the best way to do it?
>
> TIA
>
> Raul Martinez

Howdy,

You're not going to gain much by trying to remove the universal-darwin (32bit) application; it's about ~147MB in size. I see no reason to do it. Not only that, unless you carefully change your configuration tlmgr could run into problems when items in the binary directories are updated (it happens sometimes---mostly when scripts are updated). My final recommendation, if you can't already guess, is don't bother.

By the way, the vast majority (>2GB) of space is taken up by packages, fonts, scripts, in texmf-dist.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)