[OS X TeX] new texlive folder

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Sep 17 21:50:39 CEST 2010

On Sep 17, 2010, at 1:05 PM, Michael Sharpe wrote:

> I just noticed that there is a new folder named texlive within ~/Library, having a subfolder 2010/texmf-var within which are such items as generated pk files that, based on the experience of previous years, could have been expected to end up in ~/.texlive2010/texmf-var. I could not see anything in the new texmf.cnf that points to such a folder. Can someone point me to some documentation of this new texmf tree? The list of changes to MacTeX mentions nothing that I could see on this.
>
> Michael

Howdy,

When pdftex, etc., needs to create tfm, etc., files on the fly it does so in those directories. If you also create personal configurations (e.g., using updmap rather than updmap-sys or fmtutil rather than fmtutil-sys) they go there. In previous versions of MacTeX those files were in a hidden directory, e.g., ~/.texlive2009/... for MacTeX-2009, and it was decided to make the structure easily visible for 2010.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)