[OS X TeX] biber and bibtex8 engines

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Sep 14 13:52:05 CEST 2010

On Sep 14, 2010, at 3:34 AM, Alex Hamann wrote:

> Hi Herb,
>
> that was indeed the issue. Simon was right in assuming the same line as source of my problem. I had forgotten that bibtex is treated specially by TeXShop and expected biber and bibtex8 to work just the same.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alex

Howdy,

I've been hoping that I can simply tell latexmk to use biber instead of bibtex as the bibliography program but haven't been able to get that to work. I think that the biber output is different enough from that of bibtex that latexmk can't interpret the log file. Also, biber has been enough of a moving target that I don't know how easy it would be to get John Collins, the maintainer of latexmk, to seriously look into support.

By the way, I've tried to compile the latest version of biber and was unsuccessful. It's complains that I have to remove or replace something and I'm not sure what. I suspect that there is some library that has been updated but know little about dealing with it.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)