[OS X TeX] Installing MacTeX 2010 without Admin Access

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Oct 29 17:00:15 CEST 2010

Am 29.10.2010 um 16:27 schrieb Jeremy Conlin:

> I can get to the internet, I just can't do the update as I showed
> earlier.  On another machine, I have admin access.  How can that help?

Another machine can only show that all works as described in theory.

>> Are you adventurous enough to switch off your firewall?
> I don't have admin access to switch off my firewall.

Than this firewall can be the problem: It does not let you connect to
the servers that feed tlmgr/TLU. Outgoing connections might be opened
for just a few port addresses, and when tlmgr uses none of them then
it can't connect to any server because none of them receives a ring.

It's best to talk to your local responsibles.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Behold the warranty … the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh
away.